Every year in the United States more than 200,000 people are hospitalized from flu complications, and every year approximately 36,000 people die from the flu.
Immunizations in your workplace can:
- Promote good health and reduce the work days that are lost every year to illness.
- Make it easy to get the vaccine.
- Promote the flu vaccine in your community by making sure your family, friends, and customers know the value of the vaccine and where they can get vaccinated.
Protecting the Workplace
The flu is highly contagious and spreads rapidly, particularly throughout schools and businesses. To protect your workplace consider these actions:
- Keep sick workers away from the job site: review medical leave policies, work from home procedures, cross training, etc.
- Review your communications plan to ensure key processes continue to work.
- Provide sanitation resources: make sure tissues, hand sanitizers, and disposable towels are available.
Educate employees about the symptoms and responses to the flu.